Upper Endoscopy Q & A in Manhattan & New York, NY
What is an upper endoscopy?
An upper endoscopy is a valuable tool that Dr. Rubin has extensive experience in utilizing for expert diagnosis and treatment of gastric conditions. This test uses a thin, flexible tube with a tiny camera on the end of it. This tube is inserted in your mouth, and can extend through the length of your upper digestive tract.
While you are under sedation, your doctor can explore the structures of the upper part of your digestive tract, which includes the esophagus, stomach, and the upper most part of your small intestine (duodenum).
Why would my doctor order an upper endoscopy?
Your doctor may have ordered an upper endoscopy if you exhibited symptoms that may suggest a gastrointestinal disorder that needs diagnosed, or in order to treat a gastric issue that has already been diagnosed.
Some possible conditions your doctor may be trying to diagnose or treat are:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Hiatal hernia
- Severe GERD
- Unexplained or severe vomiting or nausea
- Esophageal, stomach or duodenal cancer
These are just a few of the possible reasons your doctor may want to use an upper endoscopy to visualize your upper digestive system.
What can I expect when I have an upper endoscopy?
Dr. Rubin knows that this can be a scary procedure, and will take time before your procedure to answer any questions you may have regarding your upper endoscopy.
Here are a few things that are helpful for you to know in preparation for your endoscopy:
- Do not eat anything for at least 8 hours before the test
- You may need to hold some of your regular medications
- You will receive some form of sedation, and possibly a numbing throat spray
- The doctor will insert the tube and camera through your mouth
- The doctor will instill air to help him get a better view
- It will take about an hour to recover after the procedure is complete
- You will not need to return to work or drive yourself home that day
- Dr. Rubin will go over the results of your upper endoscopy, either at the time of your procedure or later during a consultation in his office.
If you are in need of an upper endoscopy by an experienced practitioner, call our Manhattan, New York, NY office at (212) 772-2877 or book your consultation online with Dr. Moshe Rubin today.